TA: Kingdoms Community Forum

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Newish player - Few questions about a few things

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AbyssalPrince

PostSubject: Newish player - Few questions about a few things   Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:06 pm

Hello everyone this is my first post! bounce

So ive always played TA:K on and off for aslong as i can remember. I'm currently using TA:K switcher and i don't remember having any problems with it (mabye i just didnt notice). However now im only getting like 15fps ingame and it becomes unplayable (I have a core i7, 16gb ram, and GTX770 so computer specs arn't the issue). Are there any optimization i can make? such as best compatibility service pack?

I may most likely do a complete reinstall since the ta:k that i have installed is a pre-made pack with TA:K switcher most likely not all of the good enhancements. Is having TA:K Switcher recommended?

Another question is what does CUT mean? I see people everywhere say its better but no-one actually explains what it means. I also see things such as CUT versions of AI's what is better?

Also what are the best addons/mods/stuff to install? So far ive got:
full game + patch + gameranger + movies
all maps, mods, races, units, tools pack
extreme AI 2.3 + TAPowerVeteran AI

Thanks alot!
bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vhaerun

PostSubject: Re: Newish player - Few questions about a few things   Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi,

Try software rendering. Hardware rendering looks pretty, but can tax your system especially if you play on larger maps with lots of features and/or units.

CUT = crusades balance; Cavedog's last hand at rebalancing units before the company's demise.

Game wise, players might be using the 4.1bb patch which is used for online play in GameRanger. However; mods, addons, takswitcher are personal preference, i.e., such as New Era 5.1 and so on. Quite a few mods/races are buggy; they can randomly crash. Save often.

The game can be played without switcher by taking the Kingdom's key out of your Kingdom's directory. Personally, I like switcher but others like the key method.

________
Vaerun
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AbyssalPrince

PostSubject: Re: Newish player - Few questions about a few things   Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Hey thanks alot for the info! i just did a fresh install with TA:K switcher and it seems to run smoother Smile now the only problem is that every time i create a map, it always crashes on the start up. I have two player spawns + mana + 2x2 map so it should be able to atleast boot in right? Am i missing a setting?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vhaerun

PostSubject: Re: Newish player - Few questions about a few things   Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:06 pm

Depending on spawn points. If the spawn points are not far enough away from the edges of the map, map could crash.

Try a cavedog map; see if it still crashes.

________
Vaerun
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AbyssalPrince

PostSubject: Re: Newish player - Few questions about a few things   Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:59 pm

wow thanks! That was bang on. I made a bigger map and changed spawn points and it works! I just learned about this map tool today and on my free time i'm going to make the most sacred map the world has ever seen! I feel like i've rediscovered this game cyclops
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AbyssalPrince

PostSubject: Re: Newish player - Few questions about a few things   Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:16 pm

Welp turns out software rendering does increase performance but also causes my screen to keep flashing black like a strobe Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vhaerun

PostSubject: Re: Newish player - Few questions about a few things   Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:48 pm

Could be the graphics settings. Open your nvidia control panel and set the adjust images with preview to either let program adjust what's best or set to performance.

________
Vaerun
Back to top Go down
View user profile
$_Spagg

PostSubject: Re: Newish player - Few questions about a few things   Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:42 am

Alternatively, try a program called "dxwnd"
Create a tak profile in it (select Kingdoms.exe as the two paths), disable windowed mode, and make sure it is running when you run tak
Fixed lag for me but now I cant alt+tab out of the game and back again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeeKay
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Newish player - Few questions about a few things   Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:14 am

Or just use Direct3D render, and when it starts lagging you just alt+tab, go back to the game and it's all smooth again, that's what I do.

Nick: DeeKay
GameRanger Account ID: 1184157
E-mail (Skype, Outlook and Facebook): Henrique-MS@Outlook.com
All TA:K Downloads Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/AllTAKDownloads
All TA:K Downloads Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/AllTAKDownloads

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alltakdownloads.6te.net/
AbyssalPrince

PostSubject: Re: Newish player - Few questions about a few things   Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:24 am

Thanks guys ill try these solutions as soon as i can, also turns out that Fraps was adding to the fps drop when i was trying to check frames rabbit but i'm still aiming for atleast 30fps so hopefully the solutions above will help with that.

edit: Also wanted to say my first map i ever made is posted here!: http://kingdoms.heavenforum.org/t1500-my-first-map-4-player-separated-tribes

Last edited by AbyssalPrince on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newish player - Few questions about a few things   

Back to top Go down

Newish player - Few questions about a few things
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1